1. The objective of the lamb lead is to present the participant and the animal in the most attractive manner possible, to promote the use of wool and sheep products, and to improve the image of the sheep show. The contest is designed to present the beauty and versatility of the wool fiber as well as the lamb. High fashion is not the ultimate goal, rather clothing which is appropriate for the personality and lifestyle of each participant.
2. Judging Standards: 100 points TOTAL Person: 30 points first impression, posture, poise, grooming 10 points ability to answer questions Garment Selection: 30 points fit, color, design, accessories Sheep: 15 points general appearance, cleanliness, trim job 15 points training, handles easily, appears to have been worked.
3. Entry forms are available at the West District OSU Extension Office. All contestants must complete an entry form no later than 5:00 p.m., Friday, February 19, 2021, to the West District OSU Extension Office, 205 W. Maple, Suite 510, Enid, OK. There is no entry fee.
4. A description of your garment(s) design and details, including color, accessories, etc. must be included with your entry form. Also include personal comments concerning the garment such as new techniques you have learned, why it was purchased, where it will be worn, etc. and your hobbies and activities.
5. The contest is open to all 4-H and FFA members, male and female.
6. Divisions (Age as of January 1 of the year of the show): Junior – ages 8-13 Senior – ages 14 years older
7. The garments must be a minimum of 60% wool and may be purchased or self-made.
8. Participants cannot enter same garments more than once in District Contest.
9. A five-minute interview is conducted at the OSU Extension Office (316 E. Oxford, Enid, OK) to establish and probe the participant's knowledge of construction techniques, proper care techniques for wool garments, knowledge of the wool fiber, preparation of lamb as a food product, use of lamb and sheep products in society and sheep and wool production.
10. A ewe or market lamb must be led in the class for the Lead Portion of the contest. The animal does not have to be owned by the contestant. The Lead Portion of the contest will be in the Northwest District Junior Livestock Show ring.
11. Contestants must make their own arrangements for the use of a lamb at the show.
12. The lamb must be trained to lead with a halter.
13. Animals must not wear anything except a halter.